Inside William Ruto's war on oil cartels
Rift Valley
By
George Sayagie and Peter Kipkemoi
| Apr 06, 2026
President Ruto accompanied by Narok leaders during an interdenominational church Service in Kilgoris, Narok County, on Easter Sunday. [George Sayagie, Standard]
President William Ruto has warned that cartels in the petroleum industry seeking to exploit the Middle East crisis for profit will face severe punishment.
Ruto said the government will not allow a few profiteers to take advantage of the situation to exploit Kenyans through corruption in the petroleum sector.
Speaking during a church service at Impopong in Kilgoris, Narok County, on Sunday, the President said his administration is determined to eliminate all cartels in the sector.
READ MORE
New push to increase funding for research and development
Kenya positioned as Africa's next AI innovation hub
Chaka's housing boom bets on investors' demand for city-style
New coating system looks to spruce up Kenya's construction finishes
Court declines to fast-track petition against EPRA fuel prices
Govt moves to close Sh56bn rice import gap with irrigation push
Changing face of Nairobi's downtown as investors splash billions on new skyscrapers
NCBA: Nedbank sale deal on track as profit up 9pc
How Sh27.8b project is revamping informal settlements in urban areas
“We will deal firmly, decisively and conclusively with all cartels in the oil sector,” he declared.
He warned that civil servants in the petroleum industry will be held accountable for any questionable dealings.
“We are committed to fighting impunity. We have dismantled cartels in the sugar, coffee and tea sectors, and we will do the same in the petroleum sector,” he said.
Counterfeit fertiliser
The President also claimed that cartels involved in the distribution of substandard and counterfeit fertiliser had been eliminated.
He called on Kenyans to promote peace, urging them not to allow politics to divide them. He criticised divisive politics rooted in tribalism, describing it as outdated and harmful.
“We must reject divisive politics, hatred and tribalism, and work together for shared prosperity,” he said.
Ruto also stated that the economy had stabilised, citing inflation at 4.3 per cent, a stable exchange rate of Sh129 to the dollar over the past 18 months, and foreign exchange reserves of $14.6 billion.
The President highlighted reforms in the education sector, including the construction of 23,000 classrooms, the recruitment of 100,000 teachers over the past three years, and improvements in higher education funding.
He also announced plans to establish two sugar companies to boost sugar farming in the region. On healthcare, Ruto said 415,000 residents in Narok County had registered with the Social Health Authority (SHA), and urged those yet to enrol to do so to access universal healthcare.
Prime Cabinet Secretary Musalia Mudavadi said global oil challenges underscore the need for Kenya to adopt electric vehicles.
“As a nation, we need to increasingly shift to electric vehicles,” said Mudavadi.
He also revealed that 47 of more than 250 Kenyans recruited to fight in the Russia-Ukraine conflict have since returned home.
Governor Patrick Ole Ntutu, Kilgoris MP Julius Sunkuli and Woman Representative Rebecca Tonkei pledged the Maa community’s support for Ruto’s re-election bid next year.
Governor Ntutu assured the President of unified leadership in the county and expressed confidence that residents would back his re-election.