Central OCS steps aside as police probe release of suspects

Crime and Justice
By Mate Tongola | May 21, 2026
A view of Central police station . [ David Gichuru , Standard]

The  Officer Commanding Station (OCS) at Nairobi’s Central Police Station, Dishen Angoya, has stepped aside pending investigations into the controversial release of 64 suspects arrested over public order offences.

Sources familiar with the matter told The Standard that the case has been forwarded to the Internal Affairs Unit (IAU), which is now investigating allegations of bribery and abuse of office linked to the release of the suspects on Monday.

According to the source, mounting public pressure and widespread debate on social media pushed the National Police Service (NPS) to release the officer after his arrest became public.

“His case has been forwarded to the Internal Affairs Unit, where police will investigate alleged bribery involving the 64 suspects who were released from the station,” the source said.

Investigators are also said to be examining discrepancies in the number of suspects reportedly in custody and those listed in a report submitted to Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen.

Police records seen by The Standard indicate that Angoya was arrested and booked at Lang’ata Police Station at 12:45 a.m. on Monday.

The occurrence book entry stated that the OCS had been arrested by the Deputy Regional Police Commander for allegedly abusing his office by releasing suspects “without lawful authority” on May 18, 2026.

“The OCS was arrested for the offence of abuse of office in that yesterday, May 18, 2026, without lawful authority and improperly conferring on himself a benefit, released 64 prisoners who had been arrested for offences relating to public order,” the police record read.

Angoya reportedly spent the night in custody at Lang’ata Police Station before falling ill and being taken to Lang'ata Hospital.

However, some officers at Central Police Station defended the decision to release the suspects, arguing that many had been wrongly arrested during security operations.

A junior officer who was on duty at the station on Monday evening said several of those detained were ordinary citizens heading home from work.

“Some even displayed their job cards after confirming that they were headed home from work,” the officer said.

The Internal Affairs Unit, established under Section 87 of the National Police Service Act, is mandated to receive and investigate complaints involving police misconduct.

The Nairobi Regional Police Commander Issa Mohamud confirmed to The Standard that Angonya was under investigation.

“We are handling the matter internally before we decide the way forward,” he said during a telephone interview.

Angoya was released unconditionally on Tuesday evening. His lawyer, Erick Muriuki, attributed the release to public support and pressure from Kenyans online.

“Many thanks to all Kenyans who have shown solidarity. I really thank the online community as well for the pressure that you all have applied. He has been released unconditionally, but investigations will continue,” Muriuki said.

Under Section 36 of the Criminal Procedure Code, an OCS is permitted to release suspects unconditionally or on police bond, especially where arraignment within the constitutional 24-hour period is not possible.

Earlier, NPS spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga dismissed reports claiming the OCS had been scheduled for arraignment in court, insisting the matter was being handled internally through established police disciplinary mechanisms.

      Share this story
      .
      RECOMMENDED NEWS