MSF condemns 'appalling' attack on Sudan hospital
Africa
By
AFP
| Apr 03, 2026
International doctors' charity MSF on Friday denounced a drone assault on a Sudanese hospital the day before that killed 10 people, attributing the attack to the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
The attack on Thursday saw two strikes on Al Jabalain Hospital in White Nile State, hitting an operating theatre and a maternity ward, Medecins Sans Frontiers (Doctors Without Borders) said in a statement.
"This unacceptable assault resulted in at least 10 fatalities, including seven medical staff, some of whom have previously worked with MSF," it said.
"The attack is even more appalling as it occurred during a children's immunization campaign. Our thoughts go to the families of the deceased, including our former colleagues," it said.
The civil war in Sudan between the army and the RSF has killed tens of thousands of people since April 2023 and displaced more than 12 million people, nearly one million of whom have fled to Chad, according to the United Nations.
READ MORE
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
Why housing has become an economic crisis
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
Motivational speakers: When they sell you false business hopes
Africa Summit win for Kenya and continent, but on whose terms?
A government source and two witnesses on Thursday told AFP, on condition they not be identified, that the RSF had targeted Al Jabalain Hospital.
The government source had said that nine civilians, including the hospital's director, were
killed. Sudan's health ministry later gave a toll of 10 dead and 22 wounded.
The RSF denied responsibility.
On March 20, another attack -- this one attributed to the Sudanese army in territory held by the RSF -- gutted El-Daein Teaching Hospital in the state capital of East Darfur, killing 70 people and wounding 146.
MSF said in its statement it "is outraged by these repeated attacks on healthcare, which have escalated dangerously in recent weeks".
"Health facilities, medical staff, and patients must always be protected. We call on RSF and SAF (the Sudanese Armed Forces) to immediately stop this spiral of violence against medical facilities."