× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

School throws out 100 students

BILLOW KERROW
By | November 21st 2011

By BEAUTTAH OMANGA

About 100 students of Jomo Kenyatta Secondary School in Nakuru, who were on suspension since September, have been expelled.

The students, majority of them Form Threes were served with expulsion letters last Thursday.

The students were out on suspension for allegedly taking part in a strike early this term. Last week, the school administration summoned them and their parents to the institution where they were expected to defend themselves from allegations that they organised two strikes.

"We went with our children only to be told that a decision had been made that all those out on suspension be expelled. We were given two options by the administration — to either accept to take our children to other schools or wait for the administration to recommend that they all be barred from continuing with their education for gross indiscipline," said a parent, who identified himself as Joseph Mwangi.

The letters the parents were issued with read in part: "The named person has been a student at this school since 2009 when he joined in Form One. He is now in Form Three. The parent has requested to withdraw him from this school. The request has been granted. Consequently, he has formerly cleared with us. We have no objection to his transfer to another school."

Deputy Principal Francis Mathenge signed the letters. When contacted, he said he was under strict instructions not to talk to the Press. School Principal Henry Cheruiyot could not be reached for comment as calls to his number went unanswered. Parents appealed to Education Minister Sam Ongeri to intervene.

"Which school will now take them given all schools have decided the number of candidates they want to present for the 2012 KCSE exams," posed Grace Chepkwony, also a parent.

Rift Valley PDE Beatrice Adu could also not be reached for comment.

Share this story
KQ Safari Classic Crossover
Excitement is expected to grip the Kenya Airways East African Safari Classic Rally teams crossover into Tanzania Monday.
Restoring Nairobi’s iconic libraries
Book Bunk is turning public libraries into what they call ‘Palaces for The People' while introducing technology in every aspect.

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

Feedback