WHO says man with coronavirus in Egypt is recovering, no longer a carrier

Airports in Egypt screen passengers to prevent the spread of coronavirus. (AFP)
The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday that the person previously confirmed to have the COVID-19 coronavirus in Egypt is on his way to recovery, after latest tests showed he was “no longer carrying the virus”.

“He will remain in quarantine until the full 14-day period is over and will be undergoing further required tests to ensure he was fully recovered,” WHO spokeswoman Inas Hamam said in an email.

Egypt confirmed the case, its first, last week. It remains the only known instance of the new coronavirus in Africa. State TV earlier said a foreigner thought to be carrying the coronavirus had tested negative, raising questions about his initial infection.

Are you suspecting that you have coronavirus? Before you rush to the hospital, do this quick easy self-assessment test. #StayHome #WashYourHands HERE.

Get the latest summary of news in your email every morning. Subscribe below

* indicates required
World Health OrganizationWHOCOVID-19Coronavirus