Ray of hope for 2017 election violence victims as MUHURI sues government

A post-election violence victim Davvied Otieno Obare (left) consults with Muslims for Human Rights Rapid Response Officer Francis Auma at his home in Miruka, Nyamira County. [Kevine Omollo/Standard]
A human rights organisation is set to sue the Government on behalf of the victims of post-election violence in Kisumu and Nyamira counties.

Muslims for Human Rights (Muhuri) yesterday wrapped up a profile report of the over 20 victims with the aim of instituting social justice litigation.

The organisation wants those who suffered damages - which include loss of lives, property and injuries - be compensated, with perpetrators of the damages charged for the crimes they committed.

Organisation’s CEO Hassan Abdille said they had already compiled statements from some victims, relatives of those who died as well as other witnesses for the exercise set to begin within the next two weeks.

“We are just winding up on the investigations. We have put together records from hospitals where some of the victims were treated, police records and other documentations to support the case,” said Mr Abdille.

Kisumu was among the Opposition strongholds which were marred with violence prior and after the twin Presidential elections which saw President Uhuru Kenyatta declared the winner.

According to reports from the Kenya National Human Rights Commission (KNHRC), 20 bodies were received at Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital in Kisumu between August 8 and 25.

The reports also show that between October 2, and 16, at least 91 victims were treated at the same hospital, with 12 of them having gunshot wounds.

But the hospital also reported that at least 250 people were treated with different injuries during the political violence season, which included gunshot wounds, sharp object wounds and blunt object injuries.

Muhuri’s action comes barely two months after a magistrate's court in Kisumu found five police officers liable for the death of six-month old baby Samantha Pendo, as the officers contained violence in Nyalenda Slums after the August 8, 2017 Presidential election.

 "We will be focusing much on victims who did not get justice. Election must not be a platform for unleashing brutality on innocent people," said Abdille.

Francis Auma, a rapid response officer at Muhuri, led two weeks investigations in Kisumu, which included visiting and taking statements from those who were injured, as well as relatives of those killed in the violence.

For the latest news in entertainment check out Sde.co.ke and Pulser.co.ke , for everything sports visit Gameyetu.co.ke and ladies we have you covered on Evewoman

PEV Victims2017 Election Chaos