Two people have died while 17 others are receiving treatment at Narok County Hospital following a suspected cholera outbreak at Nkasuria village in Narok South Sub-County.
Narok County Health Executive Vivian Mpeti said that the health officials at the facility received 19 patients who were exhibiting diarrhoea and vomiting symptoms.
“On January 6 this year, we received the patients apparently from one village in Naroosura ward. Upon arrival one man succumbed while another one died while receiving treatment of the same ailment at a private hospital,” said Ms Mpeti.
The County Health officials said the disease surveillance team has already taken four samples and results pointed out at cholera but the same blood samples have been taken to the Government chemist for further verification.
So far, she said nine of the patients were in stable condition while eight others were in dire need of medical attention and were being handled at the facility.
Ms Mpeti said the response team comprising of public health and nurses has been dispatched to the affected village to investigate the source and quality of water as well as the food being consumed by the affected villagers for further action.
“We want to find out whether the cause of the outbreak is as a result of contaminated water or food poisoning. Once we get the situation on the ground is when we shall take the appropriate action,” said Ms Mpeti.
She also said that the patients have already been isolated since the disease is highly contagious and a fast-killer.
The county official also speculated that the diarrheal disease outbreak could also be linked with the ongoing heavy downpour being experienced in several parts of the county.
It is not the first time cholera cases are reported in the county.
In 2017, Cholera fears gripped Narok Boys High school after over 40 students were treated with diarrhoea and vomiting symptoms associated with the disease.
The students, according to the institution’s administration began experiencing stomach-ache before vomiting and diarrhoea forcing the institution to call local medics.
Institution’s Principal Isaac Sereti told the press at the school that some students went to his office complaining of stomach upsets and later the number grew.
The Health CEC has however urged the county residents to observe high standards of hygiene by ensuring that they wash their hands after visiting latrines and boiling water for drinking and cooking combat the disease.
We are undertaking a survey to help us improve our content for you. This will only take 1 minute of your time, please give us your feedback by clicking HERE. All responses will be confidential.