Strike: Knut rejects meeting with TSC
SEE ALSO :February starts with promise of chaosWeighty issues “TSC historically has demonstrated blatant disrespect in past on conciliators appointed by your office. Last year, you appointed a Mr Maneno to conciliate on the same issues before you but TSC outrightly rubbished the process,” said Sossion in a letter dated December 22. He further told Yattani that the issues under dispute are not new and have been before his desk before. “Therefore it is a matter that has progressed beyond any conciliation,” said Sossion. The ministry last week moved fast to avert the looming strike by appointing a mediator to bring the giant teachers union and the employer to the talking table.
SEE ALSO :TSC pleads with Knut to attend meetingYattani appointed Charles Maranga to mediate in the impending action that is likely to paralyse learning across all public schools. Yattani said the issues raised by Knut were weighty and called for dialogue. Knut has listed teachers’ promotions, delocalisation, professional development modules and performance contracting tools as points of disagreement with employer. “It is apparent that the disagreement is on sensitive policy matters in general teacher management,” said Yattani. Yattani urged TSC and Knut to initiate talks to avert stalemate. “I urge parties to engage in honest dialogue so that they may secure amicable solution by consensus and avoid disruption of school calendar,” he said. Beyond talks Sossion, however, said the dispute is beyond talks. “We note that we did not register a trade dispute to warrant a conciliator. We have issued a strike notice,” said Sossion in a letter also copied to Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed. Knut insisted that it would not engage TSC anymore on the issue in a platform organised by the ministry.