Mombasa floods: Gachagua accuses Nassir of 'sitting and waiting for help'

Coast
By Joackim Bwana | Nov 22, 2023
Bamburi residents hold onto each other as they walk through flood waters on November 17, 2023. [Kelvin Karani, Standard]

The national government has disbursed Sh10 billion to counties hard-hit by El Nino rains and floods, according to Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua.

Mr Gachagua advised the affected counties to postpone their development plans and redirect funds to address the effects of the floods.

The DP however accused Mombasa Governor Abdulswamad Nassir of "folding his arms waiting for help from Nairobi".

Gachagua also said Mombasa "has the worst drainage system which worsened the floods after heavy rains".

"Nassir should borrow a leaf from Nairobi that has employed the youth to unclog its drainage system. Instead of sitting and complaining, he should buy food for his people because he has money," he said.

But Nassir has been distributing food to families affected by floods since last week.

Gachagua said some counties have bought food to supplement efforts by the national government to feed families affected by floods.

"Let Nassir buy food and we will give him military helicopters. Other countries like Wajir, Mandera, and Garisa have done so. This is not the problem for the national government alone," he said.

Yesterday, the deputy president distributed relief food to more than 500 families in Barawa village, Kisauni constituency.

Gachagua called on counties to clear waterways and drainage systems while enhancing financial, technical, and logistical support.

Last week, floods at the Coast claimed 12 lives, causing destruction of property of an unknown value. Thousands of families were displaced in Mombasa, Kilifi, Kwale, Tana River, Taita Taveta, and Lamu counties.

Government officials reported several missing individuals, with over 20,000 people displaced. Last week, Coast Regional Coordinator Rodah Onyancha said that the most affected counties are Tana River and Mombasa.

In Tana River, more than 5,000 families were displaced after River Tana burst its banks, leading hundreds of residents to relocate to Gamba.

Ms Onyancha reported that heavy rains and floods have impacted 3,892 families in Mombasa, with at least 300 families lacking shelter as their houses were either submerged or swept away by the floods.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS