Nairobi man fighting for his life in ICU after phone explodes while charging in bed

Saul Owiti Aug 17,2018


View More on Ride with Betty

Kibera man is nursing serious burns at Kenyatta National Hospital after a mobile phone plugged into a charger exploded in his bed as he slept.

Jackson Mwaniki who lives alone, was found unconscious and badly burnt in his house by a neighbour, who rushed to his house after seeing smoke emanating from the house.

Speaking to The Nairobian on phone, Mwaniki’s mother Mary Kabuu, said it was by sheer luck that the neighbour saw smoke billowing from the house and went to find out what was happening, otherwise it could have been tragic.
Mwaniki’s mobile phone allegedly exploded while he was asleep, sparking a fire in the house