Adesanya, Volkanovski retain titles at UFC 276
Unique Sports
By
Reuters
| Jul 03, 2022
Israel Adesanya and Alexander Volkanovski scored dominant unanimous decision victories and retained their UFC titles at the T-Mobile Arena on Saturday on a UFC 276 fight card that was short on fireworks but that had plenty of skill on show.
Adesanya did a masterful job of controlling the distance to evade the punching power of Cannonier, the 32-year-old Nigerian staying out of range before darting in to score with a dizzying variety of strikes across the five five-minute rounds.
Texas native Cannonier did what he could in the later stages to trap Adesanya against the cage, but Adesanya was rarely in any danger en route to his fifth successful title defence.
In the co-main event, Australia's Volkanovski used his speed and a consistent stinging jab to score a convincing victory over Hawaiian Max Holloway, keeping his featherweight title before suggesting a move up to lightweight.
“I want to be busy, I don’t think this division itself can keep me busy - I want to move up to lightweight, go for double champ (add the lightweight belt) and keep two divisions busy,“ he said in his post-fight interview in the octagon.
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
Earlier in the evening, Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone called time on his career after losing to Jim Miller via second-round submission in his 55th professional fight.
“I’m not complaining at anybody but I just don’t love it anymore,“ the 39-year-old fan favourite said, leaving his gloves and cowboy hat in the centre of the cage. “I’m going to be a movie star. It’s time to bow out, one hell of a career.”
Cerrone's last win in the UFC came in May 2019 against Al Iaquinta and he has lost six of his seven fights since then, with the other bout ruled a no-contest. - Reuters