Tension high in Maella, Naivasha after three farmers are attacked and left for dead
Rift Valley
By
Antony Gitonga
| Sep 10, 2025
Tension is high in the clash-torn area of Maella, Naivasha, after three people were attacked by a group of herders while farming.
One of the men was left for dead and had to be transferred to KNH for specialised treatment after the herders slashed his head during the midday incident.
Following the incident in the area that in the past has recorded bloody clashes, security was intensified with calls for calm as police went for the suspects who are well known.
Trouble started on Tuesday when two men were attacked with crude weapons, and on Wednesday, the same group attacked a third man while farming before escaping towards Narok.
According to former Maella MCA Kariuki Mujing'a, the attacks had left area residents with fear as the attackers had not been arrested.
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
He noted that though the ownership of the vast Ng'ati farm was resolved years ago, the area had recorded bloody clashes from quarters that never agreed with the court ruling.
"One of the men who was attacked was left suffering from deep cuts on the head and was taken to Naivasha sub-county hospital before being transferred to KNH," he said.
The vocal leader said that the attackers hailed from the neighbouring county and had in the past attacked residents farming near the boundary of Nakuru and Narok.
"Some of the attacks are meant to intimidate the farmers so that they can leave the farms, and we are asking the government to take the necessary action," he said.
Naivasha Deputy County Commissioner Josiah Odong, however, downplayed the incident, terming it an isolated criminal case.
He said that the main suspect behind the attack was a former Chief who was recently released on bond by a court for a similar attack in the area.
"Three people were attacked and slashed in two different incidents, and the main suspect is an administrator who has since gone into hiding," he said.
Odongo said that they would seek to have the suspect's bond cancelled as one way of seeking a lasting solution to the attacks.
He called for patience and calm from area residents, adding that more officers had been dispatched to the area and a manhunt for the suspect was launched.
"The three victims are recuperating well in hospital, and it's a matter of time before we catch up with the former Chief and arraign him in court," he said.