Kihika demands action, rescue of victims in child sex trade expose
Rift Valley
By
Sharon Wanga
| Aug 07, 2025
Nakuru Governor Susan Kihika has urged the Interior Ministry to crack down on individuals implicated in a recent BBC expose that revealed the trafficking of teenage girls for commercial sex in Mai Mahiu.
In a statement dated August 7, Kihika said she was concerned for the safety of children following the documentary's revelations.
"I am urging the County Security Committee to immediately launch a coordinated crackdown on all individuals, networks, and establishments implicated in the abuse of minors. No one, regardless of their status, will be spared accountability," said Kihika.
The undercover documentary, filmed over several months, exposed how minors are sexually exploited by truck drivers passing through Mai Mahiu en route to Uganda, Rwanda, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Kihika described the exploitation of children, some as young as 12 years, as a "moral and societal emergency."
READ MORE
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
Why housing has become an economic crisis
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
Motivational speakers: When they sell you false business hopes
She directed the county's Departments of Children Services, Gender, and Youth Affairs to deploy emergency response teams to Mai Mahiu.
"These teams will begin immediate rescue operations, psychosocial support, and medical assistance to the affected girls," she added.
The county also plans to work with the Education Department to reintegrate rescued children into school.
"Let me be clear: the exploitation of our children will not be tolerated in Nakuru County. We must restore dignity, protect the vulnerable, and hold all enablers of this evil to account."
As of Wednesday, police had launched investigations into the trafficking network.
A multi-agency team, including officers from the Anti-Human Trafficking and Child Protection Unit, had been deployed to record statements, rescue victims and arrest suspects.