Well-wishers step in to resettle Mai Mahiu flood victims after government delays
Rift Valley
By
Antony Gitonga
| May 26, 2025
After one year of pain and suffering, 18 families that lost a total of 25 people to the Mai Mahiu dam tragedy have a reason to smile after they were resettled by well-wishers.
The 18 who are part of the over 100 families that were displaced by the flash floods were resettled in two-bedroomed houses constructed by Rotary International and Scann Foundation.
It was tears of joy and pain for the families who for over a year have been waiting for unfulfilled government promises following the April 29th incident that left over 60 dead and scores displaced.
According to Job Okello, the regional coordinator for Rotary in Nakuru, the 18 families were the most affected after losing all their property and their kin.
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
Speaking after handing over the houses, Okello termed the journey as long and difficult due to obstacles from government agencies.
"We had a rough time seeking approval from government agencies but we are happy that we have managed to resettle 18 families," he said.
Okello added that they would continue to seek more partners so that they could resettle the other families that were undergoing untold suffering after the government forgot them.
On his part, Shamsher Girani from Scann Foundation said that they had used Sh7.9m in constructing and furnishing the houses after the flash floods swept them away.
He said that the foundation decided to chip in after learning that the government was not committed to resettling the families' majority of whom lost all their property and businesses.
"We moved in with Rotary and identified 18 families that lost family members and all their property and we are happy that they finally have a roof over their heads," he said.
Naivasha MP Jane KIhara lauded the donors for coming to the rescue of the families, many of whom had been languishing in poverty in the nearby Mai Mahiu town.
She attributed the delay in resettling the families to differences in land prices adding that she was hopeful that the process of buying land would be completed in the coming weeks.
"The biggest challenge for families coming back is that this land is no longer arable after the top soil was washed away and we hope the resettlement by the State will be fast," she said.
One of the victims Bernard Ndungu who lost his two sons and house termed the resettlement as God-sent after months of suffering.
"The government completely forgot us after tens of promises and many families are yet to recover from the tragedy but we thank those who have come to our rescue," he said.
Others who spoke were Mai Mahiu MCA Eliud Kamau who challenged the government to keep its promise noting that roads and bridges had been cut off after the tragedy.