Ministry of Labour: We are investigating 'sex for work' BBC expose
National
By
George Maringa
| Feb 23, 2023
The Government of Kenya is investigating allegations of sexual exploitation at tea plantations operated by two foreign companies.
This follows a report by BBC, which revealed that more than 70 women had been sexually abused by their managers.
Through a press release by the Principal Secretary for labour and skills development Geoffrey Kaituko, the Ministry of labour and social protection says, the two companies are accused of several offenses.
"The companies are also accused of: non-compliance with occupational health and safety regulations, lack of grievance handling mechanism in the companies, transmission of sexually related diseases by senior managers and poor terms and conditions of work.
We take these reports seriously and concerned that such acts could happen. These accusations amount to violation of the law and workers' rights," said Kaituko.
READ MORE
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
German 'chemical town' fears impact of industrial decline
AI boom raises pressure for clean energy transition
How to pick the right insurance cover for your car
Push for cryptocurrency regulation gathers pace
How high-stakes home ownership dreams are shattered by city cartels
This comes a day after Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji ordered a probe into the matter.
According to the PS, the ministry 'has taken up the matter seriously'.
"We have already embarked on an investigation process. We are engaging all parties involved, that is the workers, the trade unions and the employers to get to the bottom of this matter.
We are working together with the police and other relevant government agencies to address the matter. We will give a comprehensive report on the case as soon as we conclude the investigations," said Kaituko
Dozens of women told the broadcaster they have been forced into sex by their bosses at the plantations owned by British companies, Unilever and James Finlay, for them to retain their jobs.
British High Commissioner to Kenya Jane Marriot yesterday said she is "concerned by the allegations of appalling behaviour made in this documentary" adding that "sexual abuse and exploitation has no place in society."
"I welcome the commitment by the companies to investigate, cooperate with the Kenyan authorities, and take action to protect staff in Kenya." she tweeted.