Sakaja ends police hunt with suprise Parliament appearance
Nairobi
By
Denis Omondi
| Mar 31, 2026
Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja emerged from hiding early Tuesday, ending hours of a police manhunt after a failed attempt to arrest him the previous day over his refusal to honour summons by the Senate County Public Accounts Committee (CPAC).
Sakaja drove himself to Parliament Buildings in a black Mercedes sedan shortly before noon, accompanied by aides who carried documents as the county boss prepared to respond to audit queries for the 2024/2025 financial year.
Nairobi Governor Sakaja drives himself to Parliament, ending hours of a police manhunt. pic.twitter.com/x7Z2CCoMvB — The Standard Digital (@StandardKenya) March 31, 2026
The first-term governor had snubbed five previous requests to appear before the committee, prompting the Moses Kajwang'-led panel to seek the intervention of Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja.
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
Last week, the committee fined Sakaja Sh500,000 over the conduct it said amounts to contempt of Parliament.
On Monday, officers led by Nairobi Regional Police Commander Issa Mohammud camped at Sakaja's City Hall office to execute the directive but left empty-handed after the governor evaded them.
In a statement following the dramatic events, Sakaja objected to what he called a "show of force" by armed officers, saying the attempted arrest was unnecessary.
He also defended his decision to stay away from the committee, citing a position adopted by governors through the Council of Governors (CoG) to boycott CPAC appearances until allegations of extortion and intimidation involving four members of the oversight body are addressed.
"Today alone, 29 governors were summoned before the County Public Accounts Committee. Only two appeared, and they declined to address substantive matters in line with the CoG's position until the underlying issues between the Council and Senate leadership are resolved," Sakaja said.
Separately, police spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga revealed that officers had also obtained an arrest warrant for Samburu Governor Lati Lelelit, who is similarly wanted for ignoring CPAC summons.