Sacked judges’ date with Bench
Counties
By
By Lucianne Limo
| Jan 24, 2014
By Lucianne Limo
A five-judge bench will hear a case filed by two suspended judges challenging the decision by the Judges and Magistrates Vetting Board.
Justice Mumbi Ngugi yesterday said the judges have been unable to meet to hear the case due to technical hitches. She said the five judges namely Isaac Lenaola, Pauline Nyamweya, George Odunga, William Musyoki and Ngugi herself would hear the cases filed by Justice Jeanne Gacheche and Emmanuel O’Kubasu and would sit on March 13 to give directions.
Justice Willy Mutunga formed the bench after the vetting board found the two judges unfit to work in the Judiciary. The board blamed Justice Gacheche of using her powers inappropriately and failing to follow the text and spirit of the Constitution.
Hold office
READ MORE
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
Kenya Pipeline Company IPO extended by three working days
When fundamentals are stable but the patient is terrified
CMA extends Kenya Pipeline Company IPO deadline to February 24
Why services sector offers best bet for jobs, economic development
Beyond the cloud: How US firm has built muscle in the digital world
Win for Ruto as High Court okays privatisation of Kenya Pipeline Company
She was accused of eroding the confidence of the Judiciary with her questionable rulings as she exhibited severe deficiencies as judge.
The vetting board, however, did not find any evidence or complaints of corruption during her service. Judge O’Kubasu was also fired after they found him unsuitable to continue holding office. The board accused him of having taken bribes. Last year, judges sacked by the vetting board got a reprieve after the Court of Appeal ruled they can challenge move.