EACC clears Treasury in loss of Sh2.4 billion Telkom stake
News
By
Frankline Sunday
| Jan 25, 2021
Telkom Plaza Head Office on Ralph Bunche Road. [Wilberforce Okwiri, Standard]
The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) has cleared the National Treasury of wrong-doing in a protracted case accusing the government of ceding Sh2.4 billion worth of shares in the State-owned Telkom Kenya to the private sector.
In the latest quarterly report released last week, the EACC said it closed the case under recommendations from the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for lack of sufficient evidence.
The anti-graft body said the report prepared and forwarded to the DPP on July 22, 2020 recommended that the investigation be closed for lack of evidence to support it.
“Investigations established that the process of privatisation was above board as there was no evidence of impropriety or culpability of the public officials involved in the process,” said the EACC in its report.
READ MORE
From Boeing cockpit to truck seat: Building Africa's logistics backbone
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
Africa banks on continental trade agreement to rev up investments
How 300 containers were stolen from Mombasa port
800 youth benefit from 'Glam on Wheels' Initiative
Flower industry loses Sh200m as transport strike hits JKIA cargo
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Legal battle brews over new tea levy, directorship
For Africa to move forward, Africans must be allowed to cross borders
Global housing crisis deepens despite policy gains - UN warns
Taxpayers' money
In 2013, the EACC opened the case accusing the National Treasury of committing the government and taxpayers’ money in a recapitalisation and restructuring of Telkom Kenya without ensuring adequate budgetary provisions.
“It was further reported that the Treasury failed to avail government balance of Sh2.4 billion six months after signing the deal, exposing the State to a loss of 10 per cent stake in Telkom Kenya Ltd,” states the report.
There were also accusations of conflict of interest on the part of Telkom Kenya directors to conduct the restructuring.
The report comes months after Telkom Kenya and Airtel Kenya merger deal collapsed. The case against the National Treasury and Telkom Kenya was considered one of the stumbling blocks to the merger