Gabon's ousted President Ali Bongo can go abroad for medical checks
Africa
By
Xinhua
| Sep 07, 2023
Ousted Gabonese President Ali Bongo can go abroad for medical checkups, according to the country's transitional government.
"Given his state of health, the former President of the Republic Ali Bongo Ondimba is free to move. He can, if he wishes, go abroad to carry out his medical checks," Ulrich Manfoumbi Manfoumbi, spokesperson for the transitional government, said Wednesday in a statement "signed" by Brice Oligui Nguema, who was sworn in on Monday as transitional President.
On Wednesday, last week, a group of military officers appointed Nguema, commander-in-chief of the Gabonese Republican Guard, to head the transition after launching a coup earlier in the day following the announcement of the reelection of President Ali Bongo Ondimba by the national electoral body.
In his remarks on Monday, the transitional leader, 48, noted that the military took "their responsibilities" in the face of an "outrageously biased electoral process," referring to the coup.
READ MORE
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
"The defense and security forces of our country took their responsibilities by refusing the electoral coup," he explained.
Nguema promised a new constitution by referendum, a new electoral code and a reliable penal code. He also promised to "return power to civilians" and hold "free" and "transparent" elections after the transition without specifying the election date and duration of the transition.
According to Nguema, a new government "made up of experienced people and people with seasoned skills" will be implemented in the coming days.
Bongo, 64, once served as minister of defense and other posts in the government. He was elected president of Gabon in 2009 and was reelected in 2016. He was under house arrest, while some of his advisers and senior officials, including his son Noureddin Bongo Valentin, were said to have been arrested for treason, embezzlement and corruption, among other allegations.
Gabon's leading opposition group, Alternance 2023, which claims to be the winner of the elections on Aug. 26, has called on the international community to encourage the junta to hand power back to civilians.