Senator alleges evidence tampering in edible oil scandal probe
National
By
Edwin Nyarangi
| Nov 03, 2024
Marsabit Senator Mohammed Chute has raised concerns over alleged tampering with evidence in investigation into the Sh6.5 billion edible oil scandal.
Chute has sought a statement from the Senate Justice and Legal Affairs Committee on the status of ongoing investigation after taxpayers' funds were lost in unclear circumstances.
The Marsabit Senator who raised the matter on the floor of the Senate on Thursday last week said the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI) and the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission have been investigating the matter that led to the dismissal of some staff at the Kenya National Trading Corporation (KNTC).
READ MORE
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
Why housing has become an economic crisis
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
Motivational speakers: When they sell you false business hopes
"I am reliably informed of the ongoing tampering with evidence and process in this investigation, this is improper and continues to raise eyebrows on the retention of staff involved in the fraudulent loss of more than Sh6.5 billion at the Kenya National Trading Corporation," said Chute.
The senator is seeking investigation into the KNTC Board resolution that led to dismissal of some staff.
"The Senate should be furnished with details of how KNTC Board determined dismissal and retention of involved members of staff; investigate why those who may have been involved are still in office, these members of staff are; General Manager Finance Lucy Anangwe, Edward Wachira who is a Senior Accountant and Lydia Karue, the Finance Officer," said Chute.
He wants the Senate Justice and Legal Affairs Committee to ensure KNTC staff mentioned in the loss of the taxpayers' funds step aside to allow investigations.
Senators had last year raised questions on whether there was enough edible oil imported into the country after the management of KNTC failed to open its warehouse for the committee which was on a fact finding mission.
Senate Trade Committee Members led by their Chairman Lenku Seki expressed displeasure over failure by the KNTC management to open the warehouses for them to confirm if there was enough edible oil for use in the country in December last year.
Kiambu Senator Karungo Thangwa said they decided to visit the warehouse to establish the truth about the edible oil.
Busia Senator Okiya Omtatah said that they were treated casually by the KNTC management when they visited their premises.
"We cannot accept to be treated casually by Kenya National Trading Cooperation yet we are the representatives of the people, I will have no other option but to walk out if this committee adopts another agenda since I was prepared to ask KNTC management some questions," said Omtatah.