'Commando' returns: Governor Natembeya receives heroic welcome in Kitale
Western
By
Osinde Obare
| May 27, 2025
Trans-Nzoia Governor George Natembeya received a heroic welcome in Kitale yesterday.
Hundreds of residents braved heavy rains as they waited for Natembeya, who had been in Nairobi since he was arraigned in court on charges of abuse of office.
Excited crowds lined the busy Kitale-Bungoma highway to welcome the governor, popularly known as 'Commando'.
Transport along the highway was paralysed as hundreds of jubilant traders in Kiminini abandoned their businesses and broke into dance as the convoy passed.
READ MORE
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
Natembeya told the massive crowd that his mission was to liberate the people of Western Kenya from greedy leadership and political deceit.
"My journey to liberate our people from greedy and deceitful leadership is unstoppable. I'm happy that people at every stopover have shown the will to change the political direction in the Western region. This new wave will sweep away old and dishonest leaders," he said.
He added that the political tide would not spare leaders who had been trading the region's votes for personal gain-stating that National Assembly Speaker Moses Wetang'ula would be among the casualties.
"The people of Bungoma have spoken. Moses Wetang'ula will not be part of the political equation in 2027. My mission is to usher in a leadership that is accountable to the electorate," said Natembeya.
He was accompanied by Roots Party leader George Wajackoyah.
The governor also accused Kiminini MP Maurice Bissau of being behind his political persecution. He claimed that Bissau, whom he supported during the last election, had turned against him.
Natembeya alleged that the MP had launched a campaign to blackmail him and push for his removal from office.
"Bissau is behind my tribulations. He is spreading lies and blackmailing me," he charged.
He added that Bissau had little public support during the campaign period until he stepped in to help him win the seat.
"Nobody wanted to listen to him during the campaigns. He was rejected and couldn't address the people until I intervened. But now, he is the one fighting me," he claimed.
MOST READ
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
BUSINESS
By James Wanzala