KPC explains why demolition of Taj Mall stalls crucial
Nairobi
By
James Wanzala
| Mar 18, 2025
Kenya Pipeline Company (KPC) says demolished stalls at the former Taj Mall area in Embakasi had encroached on pipeline wayleave.
The company said traders had defied a vacation notice issued late last year.
Stanley Manduku, wayleaves manager at KPC, said the move was necessary to safeguard communities living along the pipeline against potential hazards resulting from human activity.
"While regrettable, evicting the illegal settlers is necessary to avert potential catastrophes like oil spoils of fires that could occur if the pipeline is compromised," he said.
READ MORE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
Motivational speakers: When they sell you false business hopes
Africa Summit win for Kenya and continent, but on whose terms?
Youth gain skills in electronics repair and e-waste management
From Boeing cockpit to truck seat: Building Africa's logistics backbone
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
Africa banks on continental trade agreement to rev up investments
KPC said the Tuesday exercise is the beginning of many others in various parts of the country.
"The exercise, which began in Embakasi, Nairobi County, comes after public sensitisation forums were held with the community in October 2024, and two eviction notices and reminders issued therefore," said Manduku.
"As per the notices, the deadline for voluntary vacation was on February 14, 2025."
He said the demolitions would cover the entire pipeline area covering of 1,342kms in 14 counties.
"Of late we have had very serious encroachment of pipeline wayleave and this has promoted the Ministry of Energy and Petroleum to issue a directive that these areas must be cleared. Further to that, KPC has been under scrutiny by Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) whereby a number of issues have been raised.
He added: "KPC has followed all legal procedures and the evictions are underpinned by a court ruling. We have also sought alternative dispute resolution mechanisms before resorting to evictions as a last recourse."
Manduku added that before the evictions, they briefed the national and county government officials of the intended eviction to ensure smooth execution of the exercise without escalation of tensions or violence and the Nairobi Deputy County Commissioner led the clearance exercise.
According to Manduku, the eviction exercise is expected to affect hundreds of households across the country that have encroached pipeline land for the past 25 years.
The exercise that has commenced today, he said comes in the wake of increased advocacy for securing pipeline wayleaves following oil spill incidents in the past, some resulting in fatal fires after leaking petroleum products came into contact with ignition sources in densely populated areas.
He assured Kenyans that the subsequent evictions will be humane, peaceful and with utmost respect to humanity and will respect court orders where there are.