Israel army says killed five Hamas militants in north Gaza raid
Asia
By
AFP
| Nov 22, 2024
Israel's military said on Friday it had killed five Hamas militants, including commanders, in an overnight raid in northern Gaza's Beit Lahia, where Palestinian medics reported dozens killed or missing.
In a statement, the military and the Shin Bet security agency said they had "eliminated five Hamas terrorists, including a Nukhba (commando) company commander and an additional company commander who participated in the October 7 massacre" that sparked the Gaza war last year.
The statement added that the commanders had "led the murders and kidnappings in the area of Mefalsim", a kibbutz community in southern Israel, near the Gaza border.
Medics in the Gaza Strip said an overnight Israeli raid on Beit Lahia and nearby Jabalia resulted in dozens killed or missing.
The civil defence agency was not immediately able to provide an exact toll.
READ MORE
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
Why housing has become an economic crisis
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
Motivational speakers: When they sell you false business hopes
The Israeli military said it had taken "numerous steps... to mitigate the risk to civilians".
It named the militant commanders killed as Jihad Kahlout and Muhammad Okel, "two terrorists who commanded the invasion of Israeli territory on October 7 and led the massacres and kidnappings on the Mefalsim road".
They were "among the leaders of the combat in the northern Gaza Strip against IDF (army) soldiers, during the operation that is currently underway in the area", the military statement added.
Vowing to stop Hamas from regrouping in the already devastated north of the Gaza Strip, Israel launched a sweeping assault on the area in early October.
According to Hamas-ruled Gaza's health ministry, the latest Israeli operation has killed thousands of people.