Rugby player dies in illegal game that breached COVID-19 protocols
Rugby
By
Reuters
| Oct 28, 2020
Vizicelo Sebenza Zondani died on Saturday while playing for Border Rugby Club in a tournament despite all amateur games being cancelled for the rest of 2020. [Photo: Courtesy]
South African Rugby have launched an investigation into the death of a player at a tournament that went ahead in the Eastern Cape at the weekend despite the amateur game still being suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
SA Rugby President Mark Alexander described the death of Vizicelo Zondani as a tragedy and said the competition, which took place near King William's Town, 60km north of East London in the Border region on Saturday, should not have been held.
"This is a tragic incident that should never have happened, and our hearts go out to the family, friends and teammates of Vizicelo," he said in a statement from the union on Wednesday.
"Unfortunately, this goes directly against our COVID-19 guidelines around return to training, as all amateur rugby matches have been suspended for the year due to the pandemic and all our unions, clubs and other bodies know this.
READ MORE
How Kenya is now positioning itself as top sports destination
Zimbabwe cabinet agrees plan to extend president's term to 2030
EACC goes after Kaberia, Mwendwa over Sh330m in CHAN stadium scam
Relief as government plans tax cuts for low-income earners
Why Turkey climate summit must bring hope to agriculture sector
Infantino condemns Senegal for 'unacceptable scenes' in AFCON final
New regulations will unlock untapped potential of solar water heating
Why Africa should step up efforts to reduce methane emissions
Government lists 14 areas in Narok County as security-disturbed, dangerous
Ruto's Sh5 trillion promise: Path to economic freedom or political stunt?
"This tournament should never have taken place and we will launch a full investigation into the incident, as well as the tournament."
Domestic professional rugby got back underway earlier this month after a seven-month hiatus due to COVID-19.
World champions South Africa pulled out of the Rugby Championship that starts this weekend, citing player welfare concerns due to a lack of game-time.