Anger over county's plan to close down multi-million Naivasha slaughterhouse
Rift Valley
By
Antony Gitonga
| Jul 26, 2024
The county government of Nakuru is in a spot over a plan to close down the multi-million slaughterhouse in Naivasha to pave the way for affordable housing and stadium projects.
Angry leaders and traders are against the plan to bring down the facility, constructed by the Danish government, in favour of the two projects that are yet to be funded.
The county has directed that the slaughterhouse be closed down and the traders relocated to another facility outside Naivasha town.
READ MORE
JSC must now break the silent bias against legal academics
Rising goonism culture is a stark warning from French revolution
Second case filed against Mombasa's Sh17b waste tender
Why court has halted Sh17 billion Mombasa waste project
Junior Stars battle Tanzania in Afcon qualifier
S.African mercenaries in Ukraine send 'distress calls'
Why university staff have rejected phased pay deal in Sh7.9b salary dispute
Nakuru Senator Tabitha Karanja termed the planned closure as illegal.
"The 55 acres on which the facility sits are enough to host the planned stadium and the affordable house without demolishing the slaughterhouse," Ms Karanja said.
One of the traders, Peter Njogu, said the slaughterhouse supports over 2,000 people directly and hundreds of others indirectly.
"The county government disconnected the water supply to the facility in a bid to kick us out. We shall not be intimidated. We know those behind this evil plan," he said.
Dr John Muita, said they would mobilize residents to reject the plan.
Earlier, Land CEC John Kihagi said the land in question had been earmarked for a stadium adding that the county has constructed another slaughterhouse in Mirera.