AP officer on murder charge claims life in danger

Rift Valley
By Lynn Kolongei | Mar 21, 2024
A signpost outside Eldoret High Court. [Courtesy]

An Administration Police officer accused of allegedly killing a prison warden in a joint in Kitale town last month has claimed that his life is in danger.

While appearing before Eldoret High Court Judge Reuben Nyakundi, Ali Ahmed Mohammed, who denied the murder charge pleaded with the court not to detain at the remand prison saying that he was fearing for his life over accusations of killing a warden.

Through his advocate Ngaira, Mohammed asked to be detained at a police station until his bond application is heard and determined.

According to the charge sheet, the officer is accused of allegedly killing Anthony Pkiror Areutum, 40, at Kitale Township, Trans Nzoia County on February 27.

"My client is accused of the murder of a prison warden in Kitale, detaining him in remand will not be safe for him. That is why his case had to be transferred from Kitale to Eldoret. Even here, we are afraid of having him in remand because of the tension that arose since the incident. We ask that you treat this differently," said Ngaira.

Justice Nyakundi granted the accused's request and ordered that he be detained in police custody for 20 days pending a pre-bail report.

He said that a pre-bail report and a victim impact report should be tabled in court before determining whether Mohammed is suitable to be released on bond or not.

Mohammed, 40, who was in crutches during plea-taking, denied killing the prison warden.

He is said to have allegedly fired one bullet into the prison warden's chest, killing him on the spot.

Mohammed reportedly shot and injured himself in an attempt to commit suicide after committing the alleged offense.

It is not clear what triggered the incident on the fateful day at 3.50 pm in the joint located a stone's throw away from Kitale Law Courts as preliminary police findings stated that there was no argument between the accused and the deceased.

The prison warden who was a driver was waiting to ferry remandees from the court to Kitale Main Prison.

Justice Nyakundi directed that Mohammed be held at Naiberi Police Station in Ainabkoi sub-county, Uasin Gishu county.

"The OCS in charge of Naiberi police Station should ensure the safety of the accused person pending his appearance in court on April 8, for the bond application hearing," ruled the judge.

Earlier on in court, there was a heated argument between the victim's family and the lawyer for the suspect over where the trial of the case should be held.

Share this story
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
How Chinese elements shine at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
From alpine venues in the snow-dusted Italian mountains to the streets of Milan, the 2026 Winter Olympics have drawn global attention.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS