Lawyers stage protest over closure of Nakuru Law Courts gate
Rift Valley
By
Daniel Chege
| Dec 04, 2023
Nakuru lawyers have staged a protest outside the Nakuru Law Courts entrance, following the closure of one of the gates.
While threatening to take down the gate, the lawyers complained over inconvenience caused when they wanted to access court rooms.
The gate was closed last week and access was only allowed to judges, Magistrates, judicial staff, prison officers and prisoners.
Lawyer Gordon Ogola who led the protest said the lawyers had been treated as non-court users.
READ MORE
JSC must now break the silent bias against legal academics
Rising goonism culture is a stark warning from French revolution
Second case filed against Mombasa's Sh17b waste tender
Why court has halted Sh17 billion Mombasa waste project
Junior Stars battle Tanzania in Afcon qualifier
S.African mercenaries in Ukraine send 'distress calls'
Why university staff have rejected phased pay deal in Sh7.9b salary dispute
"We have been asked to produce our identity cards but after we do that we are still barred from access to the courts," said Ogola.
He said the closed gate blocks access to the children's court and lawyers have to use the main gate which takes about 10 minutes to walk.
Lawyer Kipkoech Ngetich reiterated that lawyers' access to court was paramount and the gate should be opened to the public.
He said they will take down the gate if the court does not open it.
Chief Magistrate Bildad Ochieng unsuccessfully tried to calm down the lawyers, claiming their matters would be addressed swiftly.
"We want the judges to come and address us so we can resolve this matter. We held a meeting with judicial officers last week and passed a resolution to open the gate but nothing has been done.
The judges promised to address the lawyers but have so far not been seen.