Newly circumcised boy admitted to hospital after torture by peers
Rift Valley
By
Antony Gitonga
| Dec 03, 2023
Police in Naivasha have launched a manhunt for youths who assaulted a 15-year-old boy who had undergone circumcision.
The youths allegedly tortured the boy with hot wire as part of initiation ceremony.
The minor was rescued from Mai Mahiu centre by police and the public before he was rushed to Naivasha sub-county hospital.
Naivasha OCPD Benjamin Boen said no arrest has been made so far in connection with the incident.
The incident sparked public outcry with Naivasha MP Jane Kihara joining calls for arrest of the suspects.
READ MORE
JSC must now break the silent bias against legal academics
Rising goonism culture is a stark warning from French revolution
Second case filed against Mombasa's Sh17b waste tender
Why court has halted Sh17 billion Mombasa waste project
Junior Stars battle Tanzania in Afcon qualifier
S.African mercenaries in Ukraine send 'distress calls'
Why university staff have rejected phased pay deal in Sh7.9b salary dispute
The minor said he was forced to eat his vomit before being beaten with a hot wire and blunt objects.
"I could no longer take the pain and I rushed out screaming and when my mother saw me she called the police who came to my rescue," he said.
The boy who sat for his KCPE this year said his tormentors were local youths.
Kihara described the assault of the boy as inhumane and beastly.
She said the parents of the victim should be interrogated over the incident.
An emotional Kihara said that boy knew those behind the torture and police should arrest them.
"This is one of the most evil incidents I have seen and it is time parents also came out to protect their boys from criminals," she said.
Speaking after visiting the minor in the hospital, the MP called on parents to use either the church or the Kikuyu Council of Elders for the initiation ceremony.
"We are losing our culture by allowing outsiders to mentor our newly circumcised boys and it's time we took charge," she said.
A clinical officer Joseph Mbugua said the minor's condition was serious as most wounds were infected.
He said that they were making plans to take the boys to the theatre for specialized treatment of the open wounds on the body.
"The blood levels are very low due to massive bleeding and we plan transfusion as part of the treatment as we stabilize his condition," he said.