Eviction plan stirs protests
Rift Valley
By
James Munyeki
| Feb 07, 2019
Residents have protested at a plan to gazette Marura area as a wetland.
Making the announcement last week, Environment and Natural Resources Cabinet Secretary Keriako Tobiko said his ministry was also targeting Manguo in Nyahururu.
Over 1,000 families may be evicted if the government pushes through its plan.
Residents of Marura have expressed fears that they would lose their land.
They have vowed to stay put, arguing that the Government had given them title deeds for their land.
READ MORE
JSC must now break the silent bias against legal academics
Rising goonism culture is a stark warning from French revolution
Second case filed against Mombasa's Sh17b waste tender
Why court has halted Sh17 billion Mombasa waste project
Junior Stars battle Tanzania in Afcon qualifier
S.African mercenaries in Ukraine send 'distress calls'
Why university staff have rejected phased pay deal in Sh7.9b salary dispute
One of the residents, John Serem, accused the Government of trying to intimidate the residents.
He dismissed claims that the area was a wetland and asked the Government to keep off.
"This is the home all of us have known for the 30 years we have lived here. Where does the Government want us to go? Furthermore, the question we are asking is; why did the Government issue us with title deeds if it was aware that this was a wetland?" Mr Serem asked yesterday.
The area governor, Ndiritu Muriithi, assured residents they would not be evicted.
He said that proper channels would be followed in ensuring that areas considered to be wetlands were conserved.