Conte plans to extend unbeaten run against Arsenal on League Cup tie

Football
By AFP | Jan 21, 2018
Chelsea players Eden Hazard (L) and Willian (R) celebrate a goal against Brighton [Photo: Courtesy]

Antonio Conte's sights immediately turned to next week's League Cup semi-final second leg at London rivals Arsenal after his Chelsea side returned to winning ways in the Premier League on Saturday.

The Blues' 4-0 victory at struggling Brighton and Hove Albion -- their first win in 90 minutes since the turn of the year -- drew a line under a difficult recent run that had seen Conte's side struggle for goals.

But while the Chelsea head coach was pleased his reigning league champions had returned to form with two goals from Eden Hazard and one each from Willian and Victor Moses, he insisted his focus was now on the possibility of clinching a place in a Wembley final.

The scoreless first-leg draw at Stamford Bridge means the tie is evenly balanced and Conte said: "For us, it's important Hazard, Willian and Moses all score.

"But, from tomorrow (Sunday), every single player that scored today has to forget he scored and must try and score again against Arsenal.

"This is the most important thing: to be happy for today's performance but, from tomorrow, to think about another important game against Arsenal, another important situation to try to help the team to win."

- 'Unbeaten in 14 games' -

The Italian denied his side had been drifting towards a crisis after a run of five successive draws, the last of which came against Norwich City in the FA Cup in midweek and was settled with a penalty shoot-out.

"Whoever said this has to pay attention to the stats," Conte said. "We're unbeaten in 14 games.

"It's normal that some people try to see the negative aspect and don't see the positives. But this team, with many problems, are unbeaten in 14 games in every competition," he added.

"This means means we are performing important work with these players to win in this way, despite five players being out today: Cesc Fabregas, Danny Drinkwater, Thibaut Courtois, two suspensions in Pedro and (Alvaro) Morata."

Meanwhile Conte expected Andreas Christensen to be fit to face Arsenal despite the centre-back being replaced after suffering a blow to the head, with the substitution apparently encouraged by referee Jon Moss.

"Andreas had a contusion," Conte explained. "We made a substitution, but the player didn't want to come off.

"At the same time, when you have the possibility to have on the bench players like David Luiz, it was simple for me. The referee tried to force this substitution. It was a simple contusion.

"The player is okay. From tomorrow's training session, he's ready."

Chelsea were two goals up inside six minutes and while Brighton recovered well, missed chances and two rejected penalty appeals prevented them from getting a foothold in the game.

Chris Hughton had unexpectedly dropped winger Anthony Knockaert from the squad but the Seagulls' manager insisted he was unaware of reports the winger had left the stadium before the game.

"I'm not aware (of Knockaert leaving)," Hughton said. "I did see Anthony just before the game, so I know he was here. Anything else I'm unaware of.

"I would like to think that anyone not in the starting XI wouldn't have been happy not to be in the XI, and anyone not in the squad wouldn't be happy."

                                 

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS