Lejirma, Karanga motivated by prize money at 2025 MKO

Golf
By Ochieng Oyugi | Feb 15, 2025
Kenya's John Lejirma in a past action. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

As per now, Kenya will be represented by ten pros, four amateurs and two juniors in the 56th edition of the Magical Kenya Open (MKO) golf championship set for Muthaiga Golf Club in Nairobi on February 20-23.

Top three finishers in amateur (juniors included) and in the pro categories will be rewarded for their efforts in the tournament, whether they make the cut or not. The reward will be in order of their final ranking in the global event.

Top local pro in the tournament will go home with Sh500,000, runners up will walk away with Sh300,000 while third place finishers in the category will walk away with Sh200,000.

In the amateur category, the best players will be rewarded Sh150,000, Sh100,000 and Sh50,000 in that order of finish.

At the same time, the government has made a clarion call for monetisation of local talent during the forthcoming prestigious tournament.

The request was made during the second sponsors and stakeholders players' auction bid held at the historic Golf Park in Nairobi on Wednesday night that has so far realised Sh3.3 million.

Final proceeds from the auction of the players' apparels and shirts will be used to support the local golfers who will fly the country's flag high in the golf spectacle.

"We are happy that someone is finally doing something to recognize our skills, we hope that private sectors will come on board to join this noble initiative," Railway golfer John 'Samburu One' Lejirma told Standard Sports.

Michael 'Kenya One' Karanga hailed the bidding process saying: "Finally, value is being placed on local athletes. This will inspire golfers to put their soul and mind into the game. Who knows, this motivation will one day see the Kenya Open trophy remain at home."

The duo has left the country for an amateur golf championship in Rwanda where they will be sharpening their claws this weekend ahead of next week's MKO in Muthaiga.

Kenya Vision 2030 Director General, Kenneth Mwige who spearheaded the auction bid termed the process they have started as a step in the right direction.

"The auction is meant to pioneer a market for sportsmen and women and sponsors, not just for golf alone, but for all the disciplines. It is meant to monetise marketing and branding opportunities for our players and there is no other way to do it than at the MKO, which is a tournament that is watched yearly by at least over 500 million fans from across the globe, "Mwige said.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS