Royal Nairobi Golf Club course: Players set for amateur tournament

Golf
By Maarufu Mohamed | Jun 15, 2022
Kenya Amateur Golf Championship tournament defending champion John Lejirma of Kenya Railways swings his drive at a recent tournament in Mombasa. [Maarufu Mohamed, Standard].

John Lejirma is expected to defend his title at the Kenya Amateur 2022 Golf Championship tournament taking  place at the par 72 Royal Nairobi Golf Club course from Tomorrow.

The four-day event that ends on will be the 100th edition of the tournament organised by the Kenya Golf Union (KGU) and is among the 33 events in the union’s calendar this year.

Lejirma who clinched the title last year after a tight contest said he was all set and ready for the tournament.

“The trophy has my name on it and being the defending champion I think that’s one of the coolest things which really strives me again to go out there and defend it.

“I know the best players in the country are out there playing the event and I’m looking forward to competing against them this week,” Lejirma said.

Other Kenyan amateurs to watch include 2021 Golfer of the Year Series leader Adel Balala of Nyali Golf and Country Club, junior golfer Njoroge Kibugu of Muthaiga Golf Club, Dennis Maara of Limuru Country Club and Jay Sandhu of Royal.

The Kenyans will also be battling against others from other countries.

Bagalana Ibrahim, Andrew Ssekibejja, Joseph Kasoozi, Collins Bulafu, Alunga Michael, Cwinyaai Joseph, Asaba Denis, Andrew Ssekibejja and Nsubuga Godfrey will be repsenting Uganda.

Tanzania has sent Jay Nathwani while Ethiopia will be represented by Hailay Gebrekidan.

Tournament Director Philip Ochola said this event is the only major match play event in the country and is a five-round knockout tournament that has attracted a total of 84 players boasting handicap index of 10.8 and better.

He said the winner of this year’s event will get an automatic slot to play in the 2023 Kenya Open. 

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS