Karabok stun Agoro Sare to book Homa Bay County Games ticket

Football
By Ben Ahenda | Jun 13, 2025
Agoro Sare High school (in White) against Shandarema Secondary in action during the Kenya Secondary School games at Bukhungu stadium in Kakamega county on 9th August 2023. (File, Standard)

Karabok Secondary are the Karachuonyo South Sub County Secondary Schools football champions.

They achieved the feat after overcoming fancied and stubborn Agoro Sare High School 2-1 in a re-match played at Raila Odinga Stadium in Homa Bay yesterday.

Agoro Sare High drew the first blood through Philemon Rangasi in the eighth minute to lead by the solitary goal at the break.

In the second half, the match belonged to the winners who leveled in the 70th minute through Hesbon Ouma, a goal that gave them the morale to pile more pressure on their opponents in the second half.

Therefore, it did not come as a surprise when Gordon Aoko scored the winner for Karabok eight minutes after their equaliser to book their ticket to the Homa Bay County Games set for Mbita High School on June 18-20.

Karabok head coach Gordon Aoko said they focused on getting to the national games but they are taking a step at a time to the county and then to Nyanza Regional games. Karabok reached the 2009 National Games semi-finals.

"We have been there (National Games) in the past and we are only returning to our usual waters but it's a step at a time from the county to the regional games," Aoko told Standard Sports.

In their first final match that was called-off in the second half last week, both teams were at a deadlock goalless draw forcing organisers to order for a rematch but on a closed door facility.

The abandonment was caused by fans of one of the teams who protested after a goal was disallowed for offside.

On their way to the finals, Karabok defeated Yala 5-0 with Hesbon Obwoge netting a double as Drogba Odhiambo, Brian Ochieng and Steve Mwilu also getting their names on the score-sheet.

On their part, Agoro Sare High walloped Agoro Sare Mixed 3-0 with Victor Otieno scoring a double after Moses Omondi had earlier opened that chapter.

Meanwhile, Saye Girls clinched Karachuonyo South football title.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS