Arsenal legend Thierry Henry quits social media, hoping to inspire others

Football
By Reuters | Mar 27, 2021
FILE: Former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry now an assistant coach with the youth team. [Courtesy]

Former France international Thierry Henry hopes his decision to turn his back on social media can inspire others in the fight against racism and bullying online.

The ex-Arsenal and Barcelona striker, who has 15 million followers across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, on Friday said he would be disabling his accounts and called on platforms to tackle the issues of racism and bullying with the same effort they put into taking down material that infringes copyright.

Henry said social media had become a weapon for anonymous account holders.

"It's not a safe place," Henry, 43, told CNN Sport. "I wanted to take a stand on saying it is an important tool that unfortunately some people turn into a weapon because they hide behind a fake account.

"I did what I felt, and I hope it can inspire people to do the same thing."

Henry, who suffered racial abuse during his playing career, said he was inspired by former heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali, who along with a fearsome reputation as a fighter, spoke out against racism, war and religious intolerance.

"Muhammad Ali didn't want to go to war, he didn't wait to see if everyone was with him, it's what he felt," Henry added. "I'm nowhere near that calibre…but I said to myself 'Thierry, that's how you feel, you feel strongly.'

Last month English soccer's governing bodies said Twitter, Facebook and Instagram were "havens for abuse" and urged the social media companies to tackle the problem in the wake of racist messages aimed at players.

Instagram has announced a series of measures to tackle online abuse, while Twitter, who took action on more than 700 cases of "abuse and hateful conduct" related to soccer in Britain in 2019, promised to continue its efforts to curb the problem.

Henry said mere statements from social media platforms were not enough.

"I've had enough of talking and hearing, I want to see action," he added. "I want to see the people in charge, the big guns, come out and explain."

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS