Starlets remain bullish for Rwanda tie: Women’s team charged to beat She-Amavubi in qualifiers duel in Machakos
Football
By
-REBECCA GICHANA
| Feb 26, 2014
By REBECCA GICHANA
|
|
| Thika Queens’ Beatrice Adhiambo (front) is challenged by Jacky Ogol in their training for Africa Qualifiers at the Safaricom Kasarani Stadium on Sunday. [PHOTO: JENNIFER WACHIE/ STANDARD] |
The women’s senior national team, Harambee Starlets, will engage the Rwanda national team in a must-win second leg of the African Women Championships qualifiers preliminary round due on Sunday at Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos.
Head coach Justin Okiring says he is going for a victory to enable the team make next round.
“We are training at the Safaricom Kasarani Stadium until Thursday, when we will leave for Machakos. We will go for the best,” Okiring told Feverpitch.
“We played two build-up matches over the weekend to gauge those players who missed the first match. I am confident of advancing.”
READ MORE
Doctors set 90-day ultimatum for pay talks, warn of strike
Kenya, Italy adopt four-year cooperation plan after Ruto-Meloni talks
The facility hosted some matches of the regional Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup last year and matches pitting Mathare vs Gor Mahia and Sofapaka vs Sony matches at the weekend.
Football Kenya Federation (FKF) President Sam Nyamweya said: “The stadium is in good shape and as a federation, it is our goal to spread international matches to stadia outside the city to enable Kenyans watch top flight football.
Kimani to officiate
The gate charges are Sh500 for VIP and Sh200 for the terraces.
Meanwhile, Confederation of African Football (Caf) has appointed senior referee Damaris Kimani as the fourth official of the match.
Bolankang Julie from Botswana will be in charge and will be assisted by first referee Botsalo Mosimanetala from the same country and second referee Bernadette Kwimbira from Malawi, and match commissioner Teruwort Woldemariam from Ethiopia.
She-Amavubi will leave Rwanda for Nairobi tomorrow, Rwanda’s New Times Newspaper reported.
Grace Nyinawumuntu’s team was thrashed 6-0 by the national Under-17 boys’ team on Saturday at Ferwafa grounds in Remera.
“Minus the loss to the junior boys’ team, our preparations generally are going well. Everyone is determined to see that we finish the job we started last week in Kigali,” Nyinawumuntu said on Sunday.
However, she is concerned with minor injuries on two key players who she preferred not to name.
The former Rwanda international central defender will release the final 18-player squad this evening. The winner over the two legs will proceed to the next round to play the winner of the Nigeria/Sierra Leone fixture.
––rgichana@gmail.com
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.MOST READ
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
FOOTBALL