Kenya to play DRC as Atieno cancels Nigeria deal

Football
By REBECCA GICHANA | Feb 18, 2016
Harambee Starlet's Neddy Achieng, right, challenge SA's Dlamini Amanda during return leg match at Machakos stadium on Sunday, August 2, 2015. PHOTO/ JONAH ONYANGO.

National women’s football team, Harambee Starlets, will kick off their 2016 Africa Women Cup of Nations qualifiers against Democratic Republic of Congo at home in the first round on March 6.

The defending champions, Super Falcons of Nigeria (who have played at every edition of World Cup since 1999), Ghana, Ivory Coast, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa’s Banyana Banyana (who are the continental representatives at the Rio Olympics) received byes in the first round.
Following the withdrawal of Togo from the qualifiers, the Lady Fennecs of Algeria will face off against Ethiopia’s Lucy in the first round.

The winner of this round will face either Kenya or DRC in the second round.
In other fixtures, Mali will battle it out against Morocco while Tanzania will play against Zimbabwe in another encounter.
Zambia will face Namibia with Libya playing Egypt while Senegal will play against Guinea. Burkina Faso will host Tunisia with Botswana entertaining Mauritius in the first round.

The final tournament will be held in Cameroon’s cities Yaoundé and Limbe from November 19 to 3 December.

Meanwhile, Kenyan international Neddy Atieno has cancelled her professional stint with Nigeria’s premier league side Sunshine Queens.

After signing a two-year deal with the West Africa side last year, Atieno told Feverpitch it was a stressing period in her life and that she decided to call it quits because the club officials did not honour the contract.

“The officials were not ready to get a work permit for me. For two months in Nigeria, I was paid only one month when I was leaving for Nairobi. They promised to pay the remaining monies later but they reneged,” she said.

Atieno laments that it reached a point when she was requesting for financial assistance from home for her upkeep.

“The club had not paid players for six months by the time I joined. I only played three friendly matches and was not able to take part in the super league and the national league because I didn’t have a permit,” she added.

The Kenya Methodist University student led the under-20 national team to the third round of the World Cup qualifiers in 2012.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS