Outrage erupts over shocking video of blogger's sexual assault

Coast
By Benard Sanga | Oct 02, 2024
Mombasa Governor Abdulswamad Nassir confirmed that he and his mother were summoned by the DCI to record a statement about the incident. [File, Standard]

A gory video clip of a man yelling in agony as his captors assault him sexually has sparked outrage among human rights activists and Kenyans on social media, pushing for the arrest of all those involved.

Yesterday, it was unclear whether Mombasa Governor Abdulswamad Nassir and his mother had recorded a statement with the police over the incident after he confirmed receiving summons.

The shocking video shows a man resembling a Mombasa-based blogger who was recently abducted, cursing why he criticised Mombasa Governor Abdulswamad Nassir.

The sobbing man begs his assailants to stop degrading him, swearing that he will never abuse Nassir.

But the captors are heard saying that assaulting him sexually is meant to send " a lesson to those disrespecting the governor''.

A section of human rights activists and other Kenyans expressed outrage on social media.

Law Society of Kenya president Faith Odhiambo said the incident was a pointer to the worrisome leadership of the country.

She said the action was inhumane and asked the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI) to ensure the all the perpetrators were held accountable.

"No humanity, no conscience, no regard or respect for the sanctity of human life, rights and liberty,"she said, adding that the incident of September 12 was a fragrant violation of the blogger's constitutionally protected rights including the right to personal security, freedom of expression, and dignity as enshrined in article 28, 29 and 33 of the Constitution of Kenyan 2010.

"We call for the full protection of the victim, and we demand the independence of the judiciary be upheld without fear, favour and external interference," said Odhiambo.

A DCI officer told court that the blogger had posted a TikTok video of himself criticising the governor's interaction with Mombasa Woman Rep Zamzam Mohammed.

On Monday, Nassir confirmed that he and his mother were summoned by the DCI to record a statement about the incident.

"This is a trying moment for me and my family. My 74-year-old mother and I could be linked to a heinous act of this magnitude.

''I'll never stoop that low," said Nassir.

The governor said before the attack on the blogger, his and his mother's houses were broken into twice, and a phone and laptop were stolen.

Four suspects Abdul Athman, Violet Adera, Esther Muthoni, and Haji Babu, have been charged with abducting and sexually assaulting the blogger on September 12, 2024.

Yesterday, the arraignment of Mombasa CEC for Lands Hussein Mohamed was stopped by the High Court.

Justice Wendy Micheni last week issued orders barring the Director of Public Prosecution from charging Mohamed.

She extended the order to October 2.

Mohamed, who was arrested on Sunday, taken to the Shanzu court but failed to appear before the magistrate after his lawyer Jared Magolo produced the High Court order.

Babu was also charged with gang rape with intent to cause actual bodily harm.

He denied the charges and is in custody awaiting a ruling on the bond application.

Share this story
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Ericv Karimi is the overall winner of the eighth and final leg of the Kengen golf tournament series. 
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle
Strathmore University Swords bounced back from Saturday’s defeat to edge out Eldonets 67-64 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) Women’s Premier League match on Sunday.
K'Ogalo silence Muranga Seal to move one win away from title
Record league champions Gor Mahia moved to within one win of another league title after beating Murang’a Seal 3-1 in a crucial SportPesa Premier League match on Sunday.
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Antoine Semenyo produced one of the great FA Cup final goals with an audacious back-flick that sealed a 1-0 win for Manchester City over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at the weekend.
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS