Shakahola death toll rises to 450 as two more bodies exhumed

Coast
By Marion Kithi | Jun 12, 2024
Detectives exhume bodies at Shakahola forest, Kilifi County, on June 3, 2024. [Marion Kithi, Standard]

The Shakahola massacre death toll has risen to 450 after two more bodies were exhumed by detectives and forensic experts from the DCI Homicide unit on Wednesday.

The skeletal remains were discovered in graves at Kwa Mugambi, located South of pastor Paul Makenzi's homestead in Shakahola forest, Kilifi County.

On Monday, detectives discovered three more mass graves in the expansive forest.

Chief Government pathologist Johansen Oduor said 50 mass graves have been identified in the fifth phase of exhumation which detectives say could be the last.

The graves are located using the global positioning system (GPS).

Last week, a group of human rights activists expressed concern over families that are struggling to identify their kin who were followers of Makenzi.

Victor Kaudo, an advocate of human rights, asked the government to stop the exhumation and instead update the results of DNA samples of more than 600 people taken over a year ago.

Jessica Konde is among families yet to identify their kin, a year after they gave their DNA samples. Only 34 DNA results were released.

"I lost eight of my family members but one was positively identified," she said.

Recently, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki said that the unclaimed bodies will be buried in Shakahola.

Prof Kindiki announced that the state has compulsory possession of 4,000 acres of the Chakama ranch.

"This land will serve as the final resting place for victims who will not be claimed by their close family members," he said.

Share this story
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
Kipyegon storms to victory in DL opener
Double Olympic champion and world record holder Faith Kipyegon made a powerful statement at the opening leg of the 2026 Diamond League season
Kenya basks in 10,000m glory at African Senior Athletics event
Diana Wanza made it a 10,000m double gold for the country when she oozed class in the women’s 25-lap contest on Friday evening.
Eldonets and Stanbic Aces win as UoN, Strathmore students falter
Eldonets rallied from behind to beat University of Nairobi (UoN) Dynamites 67-48, while the bankers defeated Strathmore University Swords 56-46.
Athena revels in her success at global showpiece
Kenya’s teenage sensation, Athena Diamantidis, has expressed her delight after claiming gold and bronze medals
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS