Boost for Coast tourism as two charter flights land at Moi Airport

Coast
By Philip Mwakio | Dec 31, 2025
Passengers disembark from a Hungarian charter flight at Moi International Airport in Mombasa on December 30, 2025. [Robert Menza, Standard]

The Moi International Airport Mombasa reverberated back to life with two additional charter flights touching down on Tuesday in what industry players termed early New Year blessings.

Kenya Airports Authority (KAA) Chairman Caleb Kositany said the start of operations by Smartwings charter operated by Hungarian oldest tour operator IBUSZ from Budapest marked a significant milestone in the advance of Kenya's aviation connectivity.

It carried 189 tourists on its maiden flight to Mombasa.

''It further reinforces our strategic commitment as a nation to foster international partnerships and regional integrations,'' Kositany said.

Earlier in the day, another charter flight from Bucharest in Romania landed at the same facility.

He added that the inaugural Hungarian charter reaffirms Moi International Airport's strategic importance as the premier leisure aviation hub on Africa's East Coast.

''The new service joins other established European charter operators such as Condor, Neos Air, Discover Airlines, Enterair and Smartwings, this development diversifies our source markets and significantly boosts high-value tourist arrivals from Eastern Europe,'' said Kositany.

He said KAA views this route as a direct outcome of the innovative partnership between Private Safaris (EA) Ltd and IBUSZ.

''Their strategic marketing of Mombasa as a premier destination demonstrates how such collaborations serve as catalysts for economic growth, tourism diversification, and cultural exchange, consonant with Kenya's Vision 2030 and the broader regional development agenda,'' said Kositany.

The KAA boss reiterated that the government continues to champion infrastructure modernisation projects across the aviation sector, which have been instrumental in positioning Moi International Airport to host both scheduled and charter services from major international markets.

Passengers disembark from a Hungarian charter flight at Moi International Airport in Mombasa on December 30, 2025. [Robert Menza, Standard]

Ongoing investments in runway rehabilitation, terminal enhancements, and operational efficiency, Kositany added, underpin Moi International Airport's competitive edge in global leisure aviation, ensuring sustainable capacity growth.

Private Safaris East Africa CEO Alexander Spiro said the company, which has been in existance since 1976, continues to be Kenya's valuable partner in tourism development.

''The new service will operate for nine rotations using Boeing 737-800 MAX type of aircraft flying from Budapest with a stopover for crew changer in Hurghada, Egypt before landing in Mombasa,'' Spiro who was flanked by his Chief Operations Officer, Cleapas Mongare said.

Kenya Association of Tour Operators (Kato) Coast region Vice Chairman Abraham Guyo lauded Private Safaris East Africa for being steadfast in ensuring the growth of Kenyan tourism by initiating the opening up of new routes.

He urged the government to do more and ensure that they allow more charter flights to land in Mombasa since the service was ideal for many travelers, who detest using connecting flights to reach their end destination.

Other officials who were present during the welcome reception included Mombasa County Executive Committee Member for Tourism Osman Mohamed, KAA General Manager Operations and Safety Dr Simon Peter, Smartwing CEO Roman Vik and Moi International Airport Manager Abel Gogo.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS