Naivas receives Sh134 million insurance payout for protest losses

Business
By Esther Dianah | Feb 11, 2026
CIC CEO Patrick Nyaga (left) signs a dummy  cheque of Sh134,044,452  before giving it to Naivas CEO Andreaas Van Paleske (second right) following claims incurred under Political Violence and Terrorism (PVT) after Gen Z protests last year in June, 2025. [Jenipher Wachie,Standard]

Naivas Supermarket has received compensation of Sh134 million from CIC Insurance Group for its properties damaged during the Gen Z protests on June 25, 2025.

The payout, under a Political Violence and Terrorism (PVT) policy extension, covers claims primarily from the Nyeri branch, mountain mall in Nairobi and Naivasha, which suffered extensive looting and vandalism.

Cumulatively, the insurer has paid the chain store Sh392 million in compensation for damages over the past 12 years—with Sh300 million paid in the last two years because of the protests.

During the cheque handover in Nairobi, the insurer revealed that they currently covered general businesses valued at Sh21 billion.

Naivas Group CEO, Andreas Von Paleske, while receiving the settlement, said the chain store is reliant on working with strong insurance partners to cover a whole array of risks they face day in, day out.

Patrick Nyaga, CIC group managing director and CEO said that risk management is critical for businesses and customers. He reiterated their commitment to de-risk businesses and clients in an evolving business landscape.

Fred Ruoro, CIC general managing director, acknowledged that the claim in question emanated from the mandamano that happened in 2025, where Naivas and other businesses were attacked during the protest. 

“There were massive losses across the board. And when CIC looked at the claims, with our loss of justice, we established the magnitude of the claim was financially Sh134 million,” Ruoro said.

In the 2024 Gen Z protests, Naivas was also affected and the insurer paid a claim of Sh170 million.  

Share this story
Africa banks on continental trade agreement to rev up investments
AfCFTA agreement carries enormous potential for African economies, however, a lot remains to be done to translate it into tangible outcomes for businesses and citizens.
How 300 containers were stolen from Mombasa port
Investigators say over 300 containers were fraudulently cleared from the Port of Mombasa without paying taxes, leading to the arrest of KRA and KPA officials.
800 youth benefit from 'Glam on Wheels' Initiative
800 young residents of Machakos have benefited from the ‘Glam on Wheels’ program, which offers free training in makeup, hairdressing, barbering and nail technology.
Flower industry loses Sh200m as transport strike hits JKIA cargo
Kenya's flower industry lost an estimated Sh200 million on Monday, May 18, after a nationwide transport strike paralysed cargo movement to JKIA, the Kenya Flower Council says.
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
A decline in diaspora remittances, driven by Middle East conflict and rising living costs abroad, is deepening financial pressure on Kenyan households.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS