Consolidated Bank rebounds to profitability
Business
By
Esther Dianah
| Aug 08, 2025
Consolidated Bank has posted a profit of Sh21.6 million for the half-year to June 30, 2025.
This is an improvement from a loss of Sh76.8 million recorded over the same period last year, and is part of the bank's turnaround and growth strategy that aims to diversify revenue sources and expand the balance sheet.
The lender, in a statement, said the turnaround is reflected in the Sh12 million total comprehensive income for the period against a loss of Sh84.9 million over a similar period last year.
Despite the challenging economic environment, the group reported a 19 per cent growth in total assets to close at Sh18.4 billion from the Sh15.5 billion recorded in a similar period the previous year.
READ MORE
Why Kenya feels like 1895 all over again
Government push for disability inclusion
Groups raise concerns over Tobacco Bill
Why Ruto, Ouattara meeting is important for Kenya and Ivory Coast
Ruto hosts African leaders at State House ahead of summit
Bill for two decades of failure by football officials is now due
Amsons Group pledges Sh4.5b for hospitals
Governor Waiguru banks on street lights to power Kirinyaga's 24hr economy
Governor Nassir launches construction of Kongowea Level 4 Hospital
Customer deposits grew by eight per cent year-on-year to Sh12 billion, enabling the bank to accelerate growth and maintain an adequate liquidity ratio of over 30 per cent as at the end of June 2025, against the statutory minimum of 20 per cent.
Net interest income grew 21 per cent to Sh551 million from Sh455 million, while non-funded income declined from Sh315 million to Sh282 million. Total operating expenses closed at Sh812 million, from Sh848 million recorded the previous year.
"The bank's growth outlook is positive and is gearing up for accelerated growth through improved digital service delivery channels as well as innovative products to serve our customers, especially in the SME and MSME sectors," said the bank's chief executive Sam Muturi.
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
President William Ruto’s administration has suffered a major blow after the High Court declined to lift orders barring it from selling a 15 per cent stake in Safaricom valued at over Sh205 billion.Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Kenya’s fintech and blockchain industry is stepping up calls for faster adoption of stablecoins as a solution to Africa’s costly and slow cross-border payment systems.Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
A consumer rights activist has moved to the High Court seeking to suspend fuel prices announced for May and June, argues increases unconstitutional, economically harmful.Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Villagers from 14 underserved counties have reason to smile following the launch of the construction of 114 solar mini-grids in the region.Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
A growing shortage of cybersecurity professionals with practical skills continues to hit the country despite more than 1,000 young people graduating under the Cyber Shujaa Programme.MOST READ
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
BUSINESS
- Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
ENTERPRISE
By Juliet Omelo
- Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
BUSINESS
By David Njaaga
- Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
BUSINESS
By Ali Abdi