Yemen's Houthis claim fresh attacks against two commercial vessels in Red Sea

Asia
By Xinhua | Jun 08, 2024

A cargo ship travels on the Suez Canal in Ismailia Province, Egypt, on Jan 13, 2024. [Xinhua]

Yemen's Houthi group on Friday claimed responsibility for launching missile and drone attacks against two commercial vessels in the Red Sea.

Houthi military spokesman Yahya Sarea said in a statement that the attacks targeted two ships belonging to companies that violated the Houthi decision to ban entry to Israeli ports. He identified the ships as Elbella and AAL GENOA.

In the statement aired by Houthi-run al-Masirah TV, Sarea said the attacks were "carried out with a number of drones, ballistic and naval missiles, and the hits were accurate." He also vowed to launch more such attacks until "Israel stops the war on Gaza."

Earlier in the day, al-Masirah TV reported that "the U.S.-British coalition launched multiple airstrikes against the capital Sanaa and the port city of Hodeidah."

The airstrikes targeted Houthi military positions in both cities, according to local residents.

Since November last year, the Houthi group has launched anti-ship ballistic missiles and drones targeting what they said were Israeli-linked ships transiting the Red Sea, to show solidarity with Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

In response, the U.S.-British naval coalition stationed in the region has conducted air raids and missile strikes against Houthi targets since January to deter the group, but only led to an expansion of Houthi attacks to include U.S. and British commercial vessels and naval ships.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS