Palestinian president hails efforts of Egypt, Qatar for Gaza ceasefire deal
Asia
By
Xinhua
| May 07, 2024
People inspect destroyed houses in the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah, on May 6, 2024. [Xinhua]
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas welcomed on Monday the efforts of Egypt and Qatar to mediate a ceasefire agreement for the Gaza Strip.
In a statement published by the Palestinian news agency (WAFA), Abbas expressed hope for Israel's commitment to "ceasefire and complete withdrawal from the Strip."
READ MORE
Why Kenya feels like 1895 all over again
Government push for disability inclusion
Groups raise concerns over Tobacco Bill
Governor Waiguru banks on street lights to power Kirinyaga's 24hr economy
We can bridge seed access in the face of global disruptions
CHAN rip-off: How weeks-old insurance firm pocketed Sh42 million
Constitutional and fiscal lessons from 2024 Finance Bill protests
Witness says Bliss Hospital locked out Rex Masai during June 2024 protests
Abbas urged the international community to pressure Israel to agree to a ceasefire and continue efforts to end the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories.
Earlier in the day, Hamas announced that it had informed mediators in Egypt and Qatar that it approved the ceasefire proposal for the Gaza Strip.
Hamas said in a statement that Ismail Haniyeh, Hamas's political bureau chief, made phone calls with Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani and Egyptian intelligence chief Abbas Kamel separately to inform them of the decision.
Hamas's announcement came hours after the Israeli army demanded around 100,000 residents in the eastern area of Rafah in southern Gaza evacuate to the Al-Mawasi area, southwest of the Strip.