Australian PM urges men, boys to prevent violence against women

Asia
By Xinhua | Apr 23, 2024
A woman who has survived abuse covers her face. [Getty Images]

Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has urged the nation's men and boys to take responsibility for ending a crisis of violence against women.

Albanese on Tuesday said his government would do whatever it can to tackle violence against women but said men and boys must address the underlying causes of violence.

He was speaking after a 29-year-old man who was on bail for another matter was on Monday charged with the murder of a 28-year-old woman in the state of New South Wales.

According to the activist group Counting Dead Women, 25 women have died violently in Australia so far in 2024, including five in the Sydney shopping center stabbing spree earlier in April.

"We all have to take responsibility for what is a scourge of violence against women. The fact that more than one woman per week has died at the hands of someone that they know, whether it's a partner or someone in a relationship, is just completely unacceptable," Albanese told state media Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) radio on Tuesday.

"Men and boys have to clearly have discussions about these issues. There's a need to show respect to women."

Asked on Tuesday if he would declare violence against women a national emergency, Albanese said the government knew it had been a crisis for some time and had committed additional funding to provide safe places for women.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS