Kalonzo urges the government to declare cancer a national disaster
Ureport
By
Mumo Munuve
| Jul 30, 2019
Wiper Party Leader Hon. Dr. Kalonzo Musyoka has urged the government to declare cancer as a national disaster following the recent death of Bomet County Governor Joyce Laboso.
Speaking in Nairobi when giving his condolence message to the late governor, Kalonzo says that the disease has claimed lives of numerous promising Kenyans and that something must be done to tame the killer disease.
"Something drastic needs to be done about the tragedy that cancer is causing in this country. It has reached a point that we need to declare it a national disaster," Kalonzo said.
The former Vice president called on scientists to do extensive research on the foods we consume to determine the major cause of the killer disease.
"We don't know whether it is because of the foods we eat that are poisoned, but we need to have our scientists carry out urgent, serious research on the same."
READ MORE
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
Africa banks on continental trade agreement to rev up investments
How 300 containers were stolen from Mombasa port
800 youth benefit from 'Glam on Wheels' Initiative
Flower industry loses Sh200m as transport strike hits JKIA cargo
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Legal battle brews over new tea levy, directorship
For Africa to move forward, Africans must be allowed to cross borders
Global housing crisis deepens despite policy gains - UN warns
His words were echoed by Ferdinard Wanyonyi MP for Kwanza constituency who said the government should take responsibility and create free screening centers for its citizens.
"Last week in my constituency, I buried 13 constituents. Out of the 13, eight died as a result of cancer. We should do something as a country to tame this menace," noted Hon. Wanyonyi.