World record holder Chepng'etich gets three-year ban for anti-doping rule violations
Sports
By
Robert Abong'o
| Oct 23, 2025
World record holder in the women's marathon, Ruth Chepng'etich, has been banned for three years after admitting to anti-doping rule violations, the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) announced on Thursday, October 23.
The Kenyan runner, who recently established the world record time of 2:09:56 in Chicago in October 2024, faces the ban despite seeing her historic performances before the positive test documented in the ruling.
The AIU had originally sought a four-year ban following her provisional suspension, which had been imposed in July after a positive test for Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) on 14 March.
HCTZ is a diuretic commonly used as a masking agent in doping cases and is listed as a prohibited substance on the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) framework.
Chepng'etich's ban, however, does not erase her pre-ban achievements. Her Chicago marathon record set last year remains on the books as her official performance.
READ MORE
KMPDU demands security after mob raids Naivasha hospital, steals body
Flower industry loses Sh200m as transport strike hits JKIA cargo
For Africa to move forward, Africans must be allowed to cross borders
Global housing crisis deepens despite policy gains - UN warns
Budget debate has moved beyond taxes to accountability and growth
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
TSC boss Mitei honoured at regions' Superwoman awards
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Kenyans shine at International Creator Day 2026
Kenya is over-politicised while systems are routinely ignored
Beyond the ruling on the positive test, the AIU said it remains on the case involving additional material found on Chepng'etich's phone. The organization indicated that messages dating back to 2022 raise "reasonable suspicion" that the positive test may not have been accidental
AIU chief Brett Clothier confirmed that investigators would pursue the matter to determine whether further violations occurred.
"The case regarding the positive test for HCTZ has been resolved, but the AIU will continue to investigate the suspicious material recovered from Chepng'etich's phone to determine if any other violations have occurred," Clothier said in a statement.