We are shocked by decision to postpone governor polls, Mombasa and Kakamega candidates say
Politics
By
Eric Wamanji
| Aug 08, 2022
ODM's Abdullswamad Sheriff Nassir and ANC's Cleophas Malala [Standard]
Candidates in the Mombasa and Kakamega governor races have cried foul over the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) decision to suspend the election in the two counties.
Hassan Omar who is vying for the Mombasa governor seat on a UDA ticket pointed accusatory fingers at the electoral body.
"It is extreme negligence on the part of IEBC. The areas have been strongholds of Azimio teams until recently. Our teams were well organized and we read malice, and mischief," said Omar.
Abdullswamad Sheriff Nassir vying on an Azimio ticket on the other hand claimed he wrote a letter to IEBC after agents identified the errors during the proof checking process.
READ MORE
From Boeing cockpit to truck seat: Building Africa's logistics backbone
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
Africa banks on continental trade agreement to rev up investments
How 300 containers were stolen from Mombasa port
800 youth benefit from 'Glam on Wheels' Initiative
Flower industry loses Sh200m as transport strike hits JKIA cargo
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Legal battle brews over new tea levy, directorship
For Africa to move forward, Africans must be allowed to cross borders
Global housing crisis deepens despite policy gains - UN warns
"The gubernatorial ballot papers showed Mombasa County, but the candidates listed are those vying in Kilifi County. We are however shocked by IEBC's decision to postpone the affected counties. They are all ODM strongholds and we read ill-motive to reduce the number of votes in favour of Raila Odinga," claimed Nassir.
Kakamega ANC governor candidate Cleophas Malala equally blamed the electoral agency for the mix-up.
"IEBC had the opportunity to travel to Greece and verify all the ballot papers. Nonetheless, we want to urge our supporters to wake up and still vote for President," said Malala.
The agency postponed the gubernatorial elections in Mombasa and Kakamega counties on Monday, August 8, citing errors in the printed ballot papers.
The announcement was made by the Commission's chairperson Wafula Chebukati who is also the National Returning Officer.
"The gubernatorial seat Kakamega County and Mombasa County, Kacheliba Constituency MP seat and Pokot South MP seat elections have been suspended and a date will be announced through a gazette notice," he said.
According to Chebukati, the errors on the ballot papers came out as a result of a mix-up at the printing factory.
Nine candidates had been cleared by IEBC to vie in the Mombasa governor race to succeed Ali Hassan Joho, while seven candidates were cleared for the Kakamega gubernatorial race to succeed Wycliffe Oparanya.