Locusts invade parts of Mandera, day after Kenya declared free of them
North Eastern
By
Betty Njeru
| Nov 02, 2021
Desert locusts have invaded about 2,000 hectares of land in Rhamudimtu ward in Mandera North, area Governor Ali Roba has said.
This, just a day after Kenya was declared locust-free by the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO).
Governor Roba said a swarm of locusts invaded the region last evening, moving in from Ethiopia.
“The report by our local technical team as of yesterday reveals that approximately 2,000 hectares are under invasion by the destructive insects within the ward,” Roba said on Tuesday.
The county government has called on the national government to act swiftly to rid of the insects before spreading into other areas. They want government to contain the destructive insects by aerial spraying.
READ MORE
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
“The locusts have affected the region which is reeling from drought and is feared may destroy pasture for the pastoralists living in the area,” the governor said in a press conference.
A swarm of locusts invade vegetation in parts of Kerio Valley in Elgeyo Marakwet County. [Christopher Kipsang, Standard]
Just last week, the government also confirmed the country locust-free.
Prof. Hamadi Boga, Principal Secretary State Department for Crop Development and Agricultural Research said the war on locusts was won with minimal damage to crops, pasture, and even the environment, a collaborative effort of various partners, especially the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
“The partnership saw to it that we had enough chemicals, equipment, and skilled personnel and developed a collaborative relationship with counties to make sure the menace of desert locusts was controlled,” he said.
The first wave of locusts invaded Kenya in November 2020, and a second in February this year.