State moves to rescue Kenyans trapped in Russia's military operations
National
By
Sharon Wanga
| Oct 27, 2025
The government has confirmed ongoing diplomatic efforts to secure the release and safe return of Kenyans caught up in Russia's military operations.
This resolution comes amid growing concern that some citizens were duped into joining the Russia-Ukraine conflict under false pretences.
In a statement on Monday, Prime Cabinet Secretary and Cabinet Secretary for Foreign and Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi said the government has been in constructive dialogue with the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to facilitate the repatriation of affected nationals.
"The Government has been seized of the matter and for several months has been pursuing it," the statement read.
READ MORE
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
Mudavadi revealed that Kenyan and Russian officials held a crucial meeting last month to address the need for Kenyans detained in various military camps across Russia to be assisted to reach Kenya's Mission in Moscow for safe return home.
The statement acknowledged the complexity of the situation, noting that several foreign nationals-including Kenyans-had been caught up in the conflict after signing voluntary contracts with recruiters posing as legitimate agents working with the Russian government.
Kenya expressed deep concern over the recruitment of its youth by what Mudavadi described as "corrupt and ruthless agents" who allegedly lure job seekers abroad with false promises, only for them to end up in active combat zones.
Following high-level engagements between Nairobi and Moscow, several Kenyans have already been rescued and issued with emergency travel documents to enable them to reunite with their families.
According to Mudavadi, both governments have agreed that any Kenyan detained without consent will be immediately released to Kenya's mission in Moscow for repatriation.
The Ministry of Foreign and Diaspora Affairs has also directed immigration and security agencies to heighten vigilance at border crossings and airports to help dismantle recruitment networks and prevent further exploitation of Kenyan citizens.
In addition, the Kenyan Mission in Moscow has advised all Kenyans visiting Russia to register with the Embassy and remain alert to potential scams.
Despite the current challenges, Kenya and Russia are working to strengthen bilateral relations, including plans to sign a Bilateral Labour Agreement (BLA) that will establish a framework for safe and legitimate employment opportunities for Kenyans in Russia.
"The Government of Kenya remains committed to safeguarding the welfare of its citizens abroad while promoting mutually beneficial cooperation with partner nations," Mudavadi said.
The government has urged families with relatives in Russia or neighbouring regions to stay in touch with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and report any cases of missing persons or suspected illegal recruitment.
MOST READ
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
BUSINESS
By James Wanzala