Family dismisses claims that Boniface Kariuki insulted police before shooting
National
By
Esther Nyambura
| Jun 30, 2025
Boniface Kariuki's family has dismissed claims by former National Police Service (NPS) spokesperson Charles Owino that he insulted police officers before he was shot.
Speaking during a press briefing, the family said videos circulating online clearly show Kariuki standing with masks in his hand before officers attacked and shot him.
Earlier, Owino claimed that Kariuki, the hawker who was shot in the head during anti-police brutality protests in Nairobi, had insulted the officer who fired the shot.
According to him, a closer look at the video shows Kariuki in an altercation with officers, and that the officer who pulled the trigger may have struggled to contain his anger due to his age.
"It was a very simple exchange. If you listen to that clip closely, you will hear the boy abusing the policeman. But you are an officer, you must have restraint, and shoot him with a rubber bullet. You can see what it has caused the image of the police so far," said Owino.
READ MORE
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
The family has refuted the claims, adding that despite the officer being responsible for Kariuki's death, the government has remained silent.
"I've also heard what the former NPS spokesperson said, that's not the right way. Our young man was selling masks. He was not protesting. He was nowhere in that protest. He was taken out while he was hustling," said Emily Wanjira, the family spokesperson.
"We want to know what the government has to say. We want to hear from them. Why are they silent? We need interventions, and we need to know if we are the people who are supposed to clear the bill. We are seeking intervention and justice for Boniface Kariuki."
Kariuki was shot in the head on June 17 and, despite undergoing surgeries, was declared brain dead on Sunday, June 29. He was pronounced dead today around 3:15 p.m. The hospital bill has since risen to Sh3.6 million.
MOST READ
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
BUSINESS
By James Wanzala